2019 Physical Education Fair Video Competition
Purpose: Students will learn the importance of living a healthy lifestyle by creating a personal fitness plan that will meet specific fitness goals. The achievement of these goals will be measured by pre and post data collection and assessments.
PE Content: Standard 3 “Active Lifestyle” & Standard 4 “Physical Fitness”
For more info, please refer to the DOE HCPS III benchmarks.
Benchmarks: All benchmarks for standards 3 and 4 will be addressed in this project.
Levels: All secondary public or private school students in the State of Hawaii will be eligible to participate in this PE Fair Competition. The top 3 school finalists will be allowed to compete at the district level. The top 3 finalists in each district will then be invited to compete in the state level competition. A first, second, and third place overall state winners will then be selected.
Video Presentation: Produce an appropriate video that answers all 10 required questions of the project. Please use proper exposure, composition, graphics, titles, audio, music, graphs, and charts to artistically express your personal project. Include footage of you actively engaged in your goal setting, workouts, and your pre and post testing experience. The finished project should be approximately 3-4 minutes long and may be submitted via flash drive or electronic file.
Recognition and Awards: The top 3 school level finalists will receive a 1st -3rd place finishing certificate. The top 3 district school level finalists will be awarded with a place finishing ribbon and gift certificate. The top 3 State finalists will be presented with a variety of physical education equipment that will promote a healthy and active lifestyle.
Timeline: School and District level finalists must be selected by Monday, April 15, 2019. State finalists will be selected in April/May and displayed at the State PE Conference.
Questions: All 10 requirements must be included in your project
1. Explain the relationship between a healthy lifestyle and regular participation in physical activity?
2. Choose 1 area of a health related fitness on which you would like to improve on and why?
3. Create 2 measurable goals in your selected area of health related fitness that you would like to improve on.
4. List and explain your rationale in selecting at least 3 different fitness activities you will participate in outside of PE class to improve on your selected area of fitness.
5. Identify and analyze 3 factors that may affect your overall health and fitness goals. How can these factors prevent you from achieving your fitness goals?
6. Name 3 clubs, organizations, businesses, or other resources in your community that may help you in achieving your fitness goals.
7. Using the FITT principle, create a 4 week personal fitness plan that will focus on achieving your health related fitness goal selected.
8. Include a testimonial by a parent or guardian that verifies your participation and results of your project.
9. Conduct a standardized pre and post assessment on your 2 personal fitness goals. Include a data chart or graph in displaying your results.
10. Include your reflection of your personal fitness plan and health related goals. Include things that went well, difficulties encountered, and any changes you would make as you continue to live a healthy and active lifestyle.
Must include a “Video Release Form.” The video may be posted on the DOE Intranet as an exemplary video, as well as on the HAHPERD website.
|Physical Education Fair Scoring Sheet||Possible||Points|
|1||Relationship of healthy lifestyle and regular participation in PA||1|
|2||One area of health related fitness and why?||2|
|3||Two personal health related goals to be achieved||2|
|4||Three physical activities outside of PE class||3|
|5||Three factors that can affect overall health and fitness||3|
|6||3 Resources in your community that can help achieve your goals||3|
|7||4 week personal fitness plan using the FITT principle||4|
|8||Signed testimonial letter by parent indicating participation & results||2|
|9||Data chart of the pre/post test results for the 2 goals selected||2|
|10||Overall personal reflection (success, difficulties, changes)||3|
|Visual and Written Requirements|
|Creative visual impact with use of multiple clips and appropriate editing||5|
|Good use of language, graphics, titles, music, and clear footage||5|
|Includes a variety of video clips of student engaging in different physical||5|
|activities outside of PE class.|
For more information, please contact Lisa Hockenberger at Lisa_Hockenberger@notes.k12.hi.us